this is me

This blog is for me and my friends.I don't appreciate anonymous comments.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Jaipur, Rajasthan, India

Nothing can be said in absolute certainity.

Friday, April 13, 2007

The Old Man and The Sea

I have a Feminism and Women's Writing paper on Monday, the 16th, but can't seem to get down to studying. Instead, I've been reading. Reading books that have nothing to do with my exam coming up. Typical. Last night I finished Love and Other Demons by Gabriel Garcia Marquez. Today I'm reading The Old Man And The Sea by Ernest Hemingway. Both the books have been pretty good. The first book by Marquez I read was Love in the time of Cholera, an absolutely delightful, charming book, full of magical realism. It's full of passages of intense love and feeling which in the hands of any other writer would have boring, unbelievable and just plain tiresome. But Marquez creates characters who have strange, unbelievable eccentricities which contrary to expectation make them all the more real. He creates parallel worlds and lives effortlessly.His style of writing is really simple, but the simplicity forces us to conjure images and ideas in our heads about the exact meaning of his words. However, this post is not a book report on Gabriel Garcia Marquez.

As I was saying, I'm currently reading Hemingway. I actually wanted to read A Farewell to Arms or For Whom the Bell Tolls earlier, but I found the book at an exhibition for 10 bucks and couldn't resist buying it. (Actually, come to think of it, I have of late been coming across a really large number of cheap books that I've wanted for a long time all over Mumbai. My last purchase was 4 or 5 MAD Magazines I picked up dirt cheap while I was walking from the V.T. McDonald's to Fort).

So, coming back to the point. The book. It's good. I had a million reservations about reading it. I've heard really bad reviews about it. It just drags on and on...It's never ending, yaar. It just has no plot...no story...how the hell can anyone read 109 pages about an old man trying to fish? But it's not really as bad as that. It does have no plot, but that's because the author didn't intend it to. Sample this excerpt:

Then he began to pity the great fish that he had hooked. He is wonderful and strange and who knows how old he is, he thought. Never had I had such a strong fish nor one who acted so strangely. Perhaps he is too wise to jump. He could ruin by jumping or by a wild rush. But perhaps he has been hooked many times before and knows that this is how he should make his fight. He can not know that it is only one man against him, nor that it is an old man. But what a great fish he is and what he will bring in the market if the flesh is good. He took the bait like a male and pulls like a male and his fight has no panic in it. I wonder if he has any plans or if he is just as desperate as I am?

Similarly,

I wonder why he jumped, the old man thought. He jumped almost as though to show me how big he was. I know now, anyway, he thought. I wish I could show him what sort of man I am. But then he would see the cramped hand.Let him think I am more man than I am and I will be so. I wish I was the fish, he thought, with everything he has against only my will and my intelligence.

It's been three days now since the old man has hooked the fish and is being pulled by it into the sea. I still don't know if he finally manages to kill the fish, and he if does kill the fish, if he manages to return home. I can't wait to find out.

The book seems highly allegorical, like in the passages above. I wonder what the sea and the fish and the old man are motifs of? i guess I'll think about these more deeply once I finish reading the book.

6 Comments:

Blogger Chamki said...

I'm not going to say what happens, but I'll tell what the book does for me. Although I'm sure by the time you come here agin to check you will have finished reading it completely.

The book gave me moments of life with the man. Isolation. The kind that Victorian novels give you because the sentences are so long and you have so much time to think about what is happening in between the words.

The Old Man and the Sea made me cry at many moments when he loses what he the fish or it seems sliping away. When other fish attack and eat, a bit of the old man dies for me. The fish becomes the old man and the old man becomes the sea.
I read this when I was in a train to Delhi alone- the vast everything is nothing felling. Oh If I could write like you, you would know.

Hmmmmmmm.
Its long yes, but I like it that way.
Lotsa love on a happy bright sunny say.
Spread the love and let the typos be,
chamki

Friday, April 13, 2007 2:33:00 pm  
Blogger billie said...

read 'for whom the bell tolls' if you get a chance. excellent book. haven't gotten around to 'the old man and the sea' yet. you might also like steinbeck- 'the grapes of wrath'- my particular favorite is 'the moon is down.' ironically enough it's about occupying forces in a hostile town. good literature is good stuff.

as for scarborough fair- from what i could tell- simon incorporated 'the side of the hill' into scarborough- and the name is scarborough fair/canticle. i had never heard it but i love paul simon. 'still crazy after all these years' is one of my favorites- but i think it's because i am getting older :)

Friday, April 13, 2007 11:12:00 pm  
Blogger bugs.honey and some said...

HEHEHEHEHHEHEHHHHHH......
I have your Old Man and The Sea...I conviently "borrowed" it from you and in the hurry of packing and leaving Bombay i "forgot" all about it...
ehehehhehehhehehheh....more evil laughter..

Friday, May 04, 2007 7:12:00 am  
Blogger this is me said...

boohooo hoooo... I thought it must be you, you chor. I have been looking all over for it.

have something very funny to tell you. will call u n tell u. if i don't remind me to tell u. It's about grammar.

Wednesday, May 16, 2007 5:05:00 pm  
Blogger bugs.honey and some said...

grammer?and funny?
wat can be funny beside us studying it for one year and still no remembering a thing for the exams?

Thursday, May 17, 2007 9:51:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"sharks have nice tails"...

and that's all the world gives you in return of all the agony and dogged fight that you put up. The Old Man and the Sea is like a hammer banging on the anvil; a cry against the shallow judgmental tendency of the human mind, but nevertheless true and a glaring part of our lives.

Yet when asked Hemingway only said "the old man is an old man and the fish is a fish"...genius at its humble best :)

good post

Monday, September 29, 2008 3:16:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home