this is me

This blog is for me and my friends.I don't appreciate anonymous comments.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Jaipur, Rajasthan, India

Nothing can be said in absolute certainity.

Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Vikram Seth's 'Soon'

We studied Indian writers who write in English when I was in college. Amongst them was Vikram Seth.
Mr Seth is a very well educated, intellectual writer who has an unusuaaly sympathetic and sensitive tone. He is gay, and although being gay is no parameter or any relevant criterion in judgement of someones writing, as a student of literature, I've always felt that this factor of his life must have coloured his writing. Contrarily, it is entirely possible that he has assumed the mask of a gay man in writing a particularly poignant piece, yet some pieces must have been inspired by personal experience.
One of these is a heart wrenching poem called Soon. We had studied this poem, about a man dying of AIDS in class, with Ms. Shireen Vakil. We had a brilliant time discussing and analysing every facet of this poem in class, but for anyone who wants to read the poem, and doesnt have the benefit of a class full of young bright minds, and the Goddess of all literature teachers, Ms Vakil to guide them, the poem has been republished in a new book called AIDSsutra, a compilation of writings by Indian writers writing in English. The proceedings of the sales will benefit AIDS patients. Its a must read. HAven't been able to find it online. Will hunt for it at home.

CIAO!!

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Surabhi Pratap said...

so glad to see u back.....n whenever u hav time... change my blog link.......n theres are a few blogs i hav started....one of them is a love blog.....thats a must read..."My LOVE Blog".. magenta red is the main blog.... its link is.... surabhipratap.blogspot.com. thru tht u'll see in the links.... go thru n tell me....any feedback is welcomed...
tc.....
love...

Wednesday, April 29, 2009 4:47:00 am  
Blogger Surabhi Pratap said...

am still waiting for a comment for my blog!!!

Monday, May 04, 2009 2:38:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home